No matter how many efforts you put in to prevent pests from entering your home, they always find a way to enter your property. And though some pests can be easily spotted, such as rodents, pests including termites, silverfish, bugs, etc. stay hidden and cause problems. Regular pest control is one thing that cannot be ignored. Let’s understand what damages pests can cause:
How pests can affect your health
The feces and skin which pests usually leave behind contaminate the air in the house and thereby spread various kinds of allergies and food contamination. Here are some common pests found in homes and their effects on health:
Rats and mice: Rats and mice often carry meningitis or salmonella which are associated with a number of health risks. Having rodents in your house can pose immediate health threats, also feces accumulation from rats and mice can have adverse effects on people who are suffering from asthma and breathing problems. Rodent droppings can spread various diseases, bacteria, contaminate food sources and trigger allergic reactions in humans.
Termites:Termite inspection and treatment must bedone from time to time, or they can bite humans and lead to allergic reactions or, in some cases, asthma attacks.
- Cockroaches: Cockroaches live in drains and sewers and bring bacteria, parasites, and pathogens from that environmentto your home. Moreover, cockroaches do not need to contaminate a surface; their urine, droppings, and shed skin become airborne particles that affect humans, especially children, which makes cockroach control more important than anything else.
- Bed bugs: Bedbugs live in the woodwork of your beds and can cause itchy skin and rashes. But that’s not all, bed bugs also have some psychological effects such as stress, anxiety, sleep deprivation, and depression.
Damage to your property and belongings
Pests can cause serious damage to your property. Here are a few examples:
- Silverfish live off organic fibers in your books, photo albums, storage boxes, etc.
- Termites primarily feed on wood and concrete structures and make them unlivable.
- Mice and rats gnaw on wires, build holes and nests anywhere they feel fit, and chew about anything from paper and wood to cloth and plastic.
- Squirrels can chew holes in your siding, live in your attics, and gnaw and tear valuables.
Cause financial setbacks
Pests can get in nooks and corners of your home and damage transformer boxes, switches, air conditioning, power outlets, etc. and even cause fires. In the US, rats, mice, and squirrels are thought to be the cause of 25% of mystery fires.
Such huge losses of properties and belongings can make you suffer financially because the costs of repair will be your responsibility. Moreover, property insurance cannot save you either because it doesn’t offer coverage for property repairs required due to pests.
Cause loss of food and other perishables
The first place that pests target is the kitchen since it gives them convenient access to food. And no matter how clean it is pests may end up breaking in. Cockroaches can easily be transported to your kitchen while carting grocery or other items. They hide in places such as behind the refrigerator, under the stove, and other corners that may be hard to reach. So, make sure to invest in cockroach control early, as these nasty invaders may cause loss of food and cost you your health.
Many people often rely on over-the-counter pest control products that eventually fail to deliver the promises made by the manufacturer and work only as a temporary solution to pest problems. So, instead of wasting money on buying these unyielding products, invest in professional pest control. It will not only save you time but will also give you the peace of mind that you deserve.
Pests are extremely dangerous for your health, your property, and your mental peace. They can leave you frustrated and in a huge loss. So, do not delay pest inspection and always be on a look out for pest prevention tips as it might help you from future expenses. Call an expert today and get rid of these uninvited guests.